Inside Residential Rehab
Residential treatment for alcohol or drug abuse holds the promise for a new start in life. What exactly goes on inside a residential rehab facility? Each program is unique, but there are core elements that will be found in every successful rehab program.
- Statement of program goals and expectations: During admission for residential rehab, the client should be informed about the program's goals and expectations. The client should also be allowed to ask questions about the program and share any concerns.
- Individual Counseling: One-on-one counseling with a trained therapist is one of the key elements of residential rehab treatment. Together, the therapist and client will work to get to the root of the client's destructive behavior. New ways of thinking about problems will be explored and healthy behaviors will be established.
- Group therapy: In group therapy, rehab clients learn that they are not alone. Under the guidance of a therapist, members of group therapy sessions can share their experiences and coping strategies. They can also form supportive relationships that will help them get through the difficult days that are part of the rehab process.
- Education: In addition to providing information about the dangers of substance abuse, a good residential rehab program will teach its clients the skills to maintain a healthy lifestyle outside of rehab. This may include nutritional counseling and instruction in relaxation techniques. There are also holistic treatment programs that equip clients with job skills that will help them survive after they leave the residential rehab facility.
- Exercise: Proper exercise is one of the most important aspects of healthy living. The best residential rehab facilities provide plenty of opportunities for exercise and may even offer fitness classes.
In addition to these core elements, a residential rehab facility should offer a clean, well-organized environment. There should be adequate staff on hand to provide personalized care and support 24 hours a day.